This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A provider prescribes Crotalidae Polyvalent Immune Fab (CroFab) for a client who is admitted after ... (Read 11 times)

Collmarie

A provider prescribes Crotalidae Polyvalent Immune Fab (CroFab) for a client who is admitted after being bitten by a pit viper snake. Which assessment should the nurse complete prior to administering this medication?

a. Assess temperature and for signs of fever.
  b. Check the client's creatinine kinase level.
  c. Ask about allergies to pineapple or papaya. d.
  Inspect the skin for signs of urticaria (hives).

Question 2

After teaching a client how to prevent altitude-related illnesses, a nurse assesses the client's understanding. Which statement indicates the client needs additional teaching?

a. If my climbing partner can't think straight, we should descend to a lower altitude.
  b. I will ask my provider about medications to help prevent acute mountain sickness.
  c. My partner and I will plan to sleep at a higher elevation to acclimate more quickly.
  d. I will drink plenty of fluids to stay hydrated while on the mountain.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

softEldritch

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
CroFab is an antivenom for pit viper snakebites. Clients should be assessed for hypersensitivity to bromelain (a pineapple derivative), papaya, and sheep protein prior to administration. During and after administration, the nurse should assess for urticaria, fever, and joint pain, which are signs of serum sickness.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Teaching to prevent altitude-related illness should include descending when symptoms start, staying hydrated, and taking acetazolamide (Diamox), which is commonly used to prevent and treat acute mountain sickness. The client should be taught to sleep at a lower elevation.

Did you know?

Alzheimer's disease affects only about 10% of people older than 65 years of age. Most forms of decreased mental function and dementia are caused by disuse (letting the mind get lazy).

Did you know?

Blastomycosis is often misdiagnosed, resulting in tragic outcomes. It is caused by a fungus living in moist soil, in wooded areas of the United States and Canada. If inhaled, the fungus can cause mild breathing problems that may worsen and cause serious illness and even death.

Did you know?

It is believed that humans initially contracted crabs from gorillas about 3 million years ago from either sleeping in gorilla nests or eating the apes.

Did you know?

Cancer has been around as long as humankind, but only in the second half of the twentieth century did the number of cancer cases explode.

Did you know?

Medication errors are more common among seriously ill patients than with those with minor conditions.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library