Author Question: The nurse is completing discharge teaching for a client who delivered 2 days ago. Which statement ... (Read 25 times)

gbarreiro

The nurse is completing discharge teaching for a client who delivered 2 days ago. Which statement indicates that further information is required?

1. I can take ibuprofen (Motrin) when my perineum starts to hurt.
  2. Soaking in the tub will help my mediolateral episiotomy to heal.
  3. The tear I have through my rectum is unrelated to my episiotomy.
  4. Because I have a midline episiotomy, I should keep my perineum clean.

Question 2

A client at 39 weeks' gestation being prepared for labor induction feels as though the baby has flipped. What action should the nurse take?

1. Evaluate fetal maturity.
  2. Administer dinoprostone (Cervidil) vaginal gel.
  3. Implement continuous electronic fetal monitoring (EFM).
  4. Notify the healthcare provider that the client feels as though the baby has changed position.

Tonyam972

Answer to Question 1

Explanation:
1. Healing episiotomies can be very painful, and pain medication should be provided for clients experiencing pain.
2. Warm tub baths are helpful to facilitate both comfort and healing of an episiotomy.
3. This statement is incorrect. Midline episiotomies tend to tear posteriorly toward the rectum.
4. When a client has an episiotomy, perineal hygiene is important to prevent infection and facilitate healing.

Answer to Question 2

Explanation:
1. Malpresentation, such as breech, is a relative contraindication to induction of labor. Before proceeding with preparation for induction of labor, the client will require additional evaluation by the healthcare provider before proceeding.
2. Dinoprostone (Cervidil) is used to facilitate cervical ripening, which might be premature since the fetal position needs to be evaluated before proceeding with the induction.
3. EFM will not provide enough information regarding the position of the fetus.
4. Because malpresentation, such as breech, is a relative contraindication to induction of labor, the client will require additional evaluation by the healthcare provider before proceeding.