Author Question: What is the best indicator that the client is experiencing menopause? 1. Hot flashes and night ... (Read 46 times)

bobbie

What is the best indicator that the client is experiencing menopause?

1. Hot flashes and night sweats
  2. No menses for 8 consecutive months
  3. High serum follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) with low serum estrogen
  4. Diagnosis of osteoporosis 4 months ago

Question 2

A nurse provides a client with instructions regarding breast self-examination (BSE). Which client statements indicate an understanding of detecting lumps in the breast? Select all that apply.

1. I should inspect my breasts in a circular manner.
  2. Knowing the texture and feel of my breasts is important.
  3. I should perform BSE 1 week prior to the start of my period.
  4. When I reach menopause, I will perform BSE every 2 months.
  5. I should inspect my breasts while in a supine position, with my arms at my sides.

dlook33

Answer to Question 1

Explanation:
1. Although hot flashes and night sweats are common in menopause, laboratory values or 12 months of amenorrhea are better indicators.
2. Menopause is defined as 12 months of amenorrhea.
3. Examining serum levels of the hormones FSH and estrogen is a very accurate indication of menopause.
4. Menopause is not the only cause of osteoporosis; therefore, the diagnosis of osteoporosis 4 months ago is not an indicator of menopause.

Answer to Question 2

1, 2
Explanation:
1. Checking breasts in a circular manner, feeling all parts of the breast, provides adequate palpation and possible detection of lumps.
2. A woman who knows the texture and feel of her own breasts is far more likely to detect changes that develop.
3. BSE should be performed 1 week after the start of each menstrual period because hormonal levels are lowest and allow closer examination of softer breast tissue.
4. BSE should be performed monthly, on the same day each month, during menopause.
5. The breasts should be inspected while standing with arms at sides.