Author Question: What is the recommended treatment for gastroenteritis? 1. Child should drink to thirst to replace ... (Read 16 times)

Chelseaamend

What is the recommended treatment for gastroenteritis?

1. Child should drink to thirst to replace fluids.
   2. Child should take Imodium and Pepto-Bismol to stop diarrhea.
   3. Mothers should stop breastfeeding until the illness is gone.
   4. The child should have a bland diet for 24 hours after the vomiting stops, then return to a regular diet.

Question 2

A nurse is caring for a 12-year-old patient who has recently been hospitalized. Which statement by the patient proves that the nurse did not perform a complete cultural assessment?

1. I'm glad that my prayer times work around my care..
   2. I feel better when my mom stays with me..
   3. I'm not allowed to eat pork, and it is on my lunch tray..
   4. My mom does not like it when my room is messy..

rleezy04

Answer to Question 1

Feedback
1. The child should only have small amounts of fluid, as large amounts may cause more vomiting.
2. Pepto-Bismol and Imodium should not be used for gastroenteritis in children.
3. Breastfeeding can continue even with gastroenteritis.
4. After vomiting stops and the child is tolerating fluids, then a bland diet is recommended with a return to regular diet in another 24 hours.

Answer to Question 2

Feedback
1. The nurse has planned care to allow for prayer time for the patient.
2. The nurse understands the importance of family.
3. The nurse should have assessed dietary restrictions for the patient and ensured a proper diet is brought to the patient.
4. Family values play a role in the cultural practice of the family.