This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse is caring for a patient admitted preoperatively for a bilateral mastectomy. Which statement ... (Read 12 times)

saraeharris

A nurse is caring for a patient admitted preoperatively for a bilateral mastectomy. Which statement indicates that this patient is still in the shock phase of adjustment to her diagnosis?

1. I can't understand why this is happening to me..
  2. I am so happy that my daughter graduates from high school this year..
  3. I know that breast cancer is now part of my life..
  4. I can't believe that I need to lose both of my breasts..

Question 2

The patient having her second child is scheduled for a cesarean birth because the baby is in a breech presentation. The patient states, I'm wondering what will be different this time compared with my first birth, which was vaginal.

What response is best? 1. We'll take good care of you and your baby. You'll be home before you know it.
  2. You'll be wearing a sequential compression device until you start walking.
  3. You will have a lot of pain, but there are medications that we give when it gets really bad.
  4. You won't be able to nurse until the baby is 12 hours old, because of your epidural.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

annierak

Answer to Question 1

Rationale 1: In the shock phase, a woman makes statements such as this.
Rationale 2: Looking at the future is part of the recovery phase.
Rationale 3: Acknowledging cancer as part of one's life is the reorientation phase.
Rationale 4: In the reaction phase, a woman deals with the impending loss of the breasts.

Answer to Question 2

Rationale 1: This response focuses on the nurse, and does not provide specific information to answer the patient's question.
Rationale 2: The use of an SCD helps prevent thrombus formation until the patient is ambulating.
Rationale 3: Focusing on the pain is a negative emphasis. In addition, pain medications work best when they are taken as the pain is intensifying.
Rationale 4: Epidural anesthesia prevents leg function, and therefore ambulation, but does not impact a mother's ability to breastfeed.

saraeharris

Reply 2 on: Jun 27, 2018
Gracias!

amandanbreshears

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Did you know?

A headache when you wake up in the morning is indicative of sinusitis. Other symptoms of sinusitis can include fever, weakness, tiredness, a cough that may be more severe at night, and a runny nose or nasal congestion.

Did you know?

Though methadone is often used to treat dependency on other opioids, the drug itself can be abused. Crushing or snorting methadone can achieve the opiate "rush" desired by addicts. Improper use such as these can lead to a dangerous dependency on methadone. This drug now accounts for nearly one-third of opioid-related deaths.

Did you know?

Hippocrates noted that blood separates into four differently colored liquids when removed from the body and examined: a pure red liquid mixed with white liquid material with a yellow-colored froth at the top and a black substance that settles underneath; he named these the four humors (for blood, phlegm, yellow bile, and black bile).

Did you know?

One way to reduce acid reflux is to lose two or three pounds. Most people lose weight in the belly area first when they increase exercise, meaning that heartburn can be reduced quickly by this method.

Did you know?

More than nineteen million Americans carry the factor V gene that causes blood clots, pulmonary embolism, and heart disease.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library