This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse has received end-of-shift reports in the high-risk maternity unit. Which patient should ... (Read 33 times)

Garrulous

The nurse has received end-of-shift reports in the high-risk maternity unit. Which patient should the nurse see first?

1. The patient at 26 weeks' gestation with placenta previa experiencing blood on toilet tissue after a bowel movement
  2. The patient at 30 weeks' gestation with placenta previa whose fetal monitor strip shows late decelerations
  3. The patient at 35 weeks' gestation with grade I abruptio placentae in labor who has a strong urge to push
  4. The patient at 37 weeks' gestation with pregnancy-induced hypertension whose membranes ruptured spontaneously

Question 2

A nonpregnant client is diagnosed with bacterial vaginosis (BV). What does the nurse expect to administer?

1. Penicillin G 2 million units IM one time
  2. Zithromax 1 mg p.o. b.i.d. for 2 weeks
  3. Doxycycline 100 mg p.o. b.i.d. for a week
  4. Metronidazole 500 mg p.o. b.i.d. for a week

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

fauacakatahaias

Answer to Question 1

Rationale 1: Bleeding with a placenta previa is a complication that can be life-threatening to both mother and baby. This patient is the highest priority.
Rationale 2: Late decelerations are an abnormal finding, but put only the fetus at risk. This patient is not the highest priority.
Rationale 3: Grade I abruptio placentae creates slight vaginal bleeding. The urge to push indicates that delivery is near. This patient is not the highest priority.
Rationale 4: Although pregnancy-induced hypertension puts a woman at risk for developing abruptio placentae, there is no indication that this patient is experiencing this complication. This patient is not the highest priority.

Answer to Question 2

Explanation: 4. The nonpregnant woman who is diagnosed with bacterial vaginosis (BV) is treated with metronidazole 500 mg orally twice a day for 7 days.

Garrulous

Reply 2 on: Jun 27, 2018
Great answer, keep it coming :)

ttt030911

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Did you know?

The strongest synthetic topical retinoid drug available, tazarotene, is used to treat sun-damaged skin, acne, and psoriasis.

Did you know?

Astigmatism is the most common vision problem. It may accompany nearsightedness or farsightedness. It is usually caused by an irregularly shaped cornea, but sometimes it is the result of an irregularly shaped lens. Either type can be corrected by eyeglasses, contact lenses, or refractive surgery.

Did you know?

The FDA recognizes 118 routes of administration.

Did you know?

Signs and symptoms of a drug overdose include losing consciousness, fever or sweating, breathing problems, abnormal pulse, and changes in skin color.

Did you know?

Multiple sclerosis is a condition wherein the body's nervous system is weakened by an autoimmune reaction that attacks the myelin sheaths of neurons.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library