This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse on a busy medical-surgical unit reports for a scheduled shift after working a double shift ... (Read 31 times)

CharlieWard

A nurse on a busy medical-surgical unit reports for a scheduled shift after working a double shift yesterday. At the end of this day, two nurses call in, and the nurse manager tells the nurse that he needs to stay and cover the next shift.

The nurse may refuse to accept an assignment if:
  A. He is being asked to care for too many difficult clients
  B. He believes his assignment is unsafe
  C. He is being asked to work overtime
  D. He believes there are not enough nurses to work with him

Question 2

A nurse is caring for a patient who has diabetes and gangrene of the lower left extremity. The nurse accompanies the surgeon when he explains that he will perform a below-the-knee amputation that will remove the infection.

He states that the patient will receive antibiotics, and go home in a few days. After the surgeon leaves, the nurse brings in the consent forms and asks the patient explain what the surgeon said. The patient states, Oh, he is going to remove the infection and give me antibiotics and then I can go home. I feel so much better now because my other doctor told me they were going to cut off my leg What should the nurse do next?
  A. Ask the patient to sign the consent form
  B. Draw a picture of a below-the-knee amputation for the patient
  C. Tell the patient that she did not hear what her doctor told her
  D. Call the surgeon and explain the situation to him