This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The laboring patient brought a written birth plan indicating that she wanted to avoid pain ... (Read 21 times)

lb_gilbert

The laboring patient brought a written birth plan indicating that she wanted to avoid pain medications and an epidural.

She is now at 6 cm and states, I can't stand this anymore I need something for pain How will an epidural affect my baby? The best response by the nurse is: 1. The narcotic in the epidural will make both you and the baby sleepy.
  2. It is unlikely that an epidural will decrease your baby's heart rate.
  3. Epidurals tend to cause low blood pressure in babies after birth.
  4. I can't get you an epidural, because of your birth plan.

Question 2

The nurse assesses that a newborn's skin has a ruddy appearance and the peripheral pulses are decreased. The nurse suspects polycythemia. Which lab report might indicate that the newborn has polycythemia?

1. Central venous hematocrit level greater than 65
  2. Bilirubin level of 6 mg/dl
  3. Venous hemoglobin level lower than 12 g/dl
  4. Blood glucose level of 44 mg/dl

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

jsm54321

Answer to Question 1

Rationale 1: It is rare for sedation to occur from absorption of the medications of a continuous epidural.
Rationale 2: If the mother becomes hypotensive, the fetal heart rate can become bradycardic. IV hydration prior to the epidural and positioning the mother with a lateral tilt would help prevent this problem.
Rationale 3: Mothers can experience hypotension after the epidural is administered, but babies do not develop hypotension after birth as a result of a labor epidural.
Rationale 4: A birth plan is what the patient hopes for prior to the onset of labor, but it can be modified at any time.

Answer to Question 2

Rationale 1: A venous hematocrit level greater than 65 indicates polycythemia.
Rationale 2: This bilirubin level is within normal limits.
Rationale 3: A venous hemoglobin level lower than 12 g/dl indicates anemia.
Rationale 4: This blood glucose level is within normal limits.

lb_gilbert

Reply 2 on: Jun 27, 2018
Great answer, keep it coming :)

mammy1697

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

The most dangerous mercury compound, dimethyl mercury, is so toxic that even a few microliters spilled on the skin can cause death. Mercury has been shown to accumulate in higher amounts in the following types of fish than other types: swordfish, shark, mackerel, tilefish, crab, and tuna.

Did you know?

Earwax has antimicrobial properties that reduce the viability of bacteria and fungus in the human ear.

Did you know?

Interferon was scarce and expensive until 1980, when the interferon gene was inserted into bacteria using recombinant DNA technology, allowing for mass cultivation and purification from bacterial cultures.

Did you know?

An identified risk factor for osteoporosis is the intake of excessive amounts of vitamin A. Dietary intake of approximately double the recommended daily amount of vitamin A, by women, has been shown to reduce bone mineral density and increase the chances for hip fractures compared with women who consumed the recommended daily amount (or less) of vitamin A.

Did you know?

The longest a person has survived after a heart transplant is 24 years.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library