Author Question: Which of the following statements made by a parent of a child with nephrotic syndrome indicates an ... (Read 83 times)

luvbio

Which of the following statements made by a parent of a child with nephrotic syndrome indicates an understanding of a no-added-salt diet?

a. I only give my child sweet pickles..
  b. My child just puts a little salt on his food..
  c. I let my child have slightly' salted potato chips..
  d. I do not put any salt in foods when I am cooking..

Question 2

Which finding indicates that a child receiving prednisone for primary nephrotic syndrome is in remission?

a. Urine is negative for casts for 5 days.
  b. Urine is 0 to trace for protein for 5 to 7 days.
  c. Urine is negative for protein for 2 weeks.
  d. Urine is 0 to trace for blood for 1 week.

ecabral0

Answer to Question 1

D
A no-added-salt diet means that no salt should be added to foods, either when cooking or before eating. All types of pickles and potato chips are high in sodium and should not be served to the child on a no-added-salt diet. The child should not be allowed to use a salt shaker at meals when on a no-added-salt diet.

Answer to Question 2

B
The child receiving steroids for the treatment of primary nephrotic syndrome is considered in remission when the urine is 0 to trace for protein for 5 to 7 days. The absence of casts in the urine gives no indication about the child's response to treatment. The child with primary nephrotic syndrome is considered to be in remission when the urine is negative for protein for 5 to 7 consecutive days. The absence of proteinuria for 2 consecutive weeks indicates a continued remission. The presence or absence of hematuria is not used to determine remission in primary nephrotic syndrome.