Author Question: What advice should the nurse provide to a pregnant patient who admits to continuing to drink alcohol ... (Read 44 times)

kwoodring

What advice should the nurse provide to a pregnant patient who admits to continuing to drink alcohol one to two times a week?

A) Avoid all alcohol while pregnant.
  B) Avoid alcohol in the first trimester.
  C) The effects of alcohol on the fetus are not fully understood.
  D) An occasional drink is permitted only after the first trimester.

Question 2

A nurse is 5 weeks pregnant and works on a care area where chemotherapy is administered to patients. Which statement indicates that this nurse needs additional health teaching about avoiding teratogens during pregnancy?

A) I care for about five patients a day..
  B) I find giving emotional support taxing..
  C) Latex gloves irritate my hands, so I don't use them..
  D) I never accompany patients to the X-ray department..

Liddy

Answer to Question 1

A
There is evidence to confirm that women who consume large quantities of alcohol during pregnancy can have babies with congenital craniofacial deformities. It is impossible to define a safe level of alcohol consumption. Women should be screened for alcohol use at a first prenatal visit and advised to abstain from alcohol completely for the remainder of their pregnancy. Refer pregnant women with alcohol addiction to an alcohol treatment program as early in pregnancy as possible to help them reduce their alcohol intake.

Answer to Question 2

C
The nurse is not using latex gloves and is exposed to chemotherapeutic agents, which are known teratogens during pregnancy. This nurse needs additional instruction to reduce exposure from the chemotherapy agents. Caring for five patients a day does not necessarily increase the nurse's exposure to teratogens. Emotional support does not increase the nurse's exposure to teratogens. Avoiding X-rays is a positive action to avoid teratogens.