This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Identify the most appropriate nursing response to a parent who tells the nurse, I don't want my ... (Read 25 times)

burchfield96

Identify the most appropriate nursing response to a parent who tells the nurse, I don't want my child to know she is dying.

a. I shall respect your decision. I won't say anything to your child.
  b. Don't you think she has a right to know about her condition?
  c. Would you like me to arrange for the physician to speak with your child?
  d. I'll answer any questions she asks me as honestly as I can.

Question 2

A nurse is conducting discharge teaching to parents about the care of their infant after cardiac surgery. The nurse instructs the parents to notify the physician if what condition occurs? Select all that apply.

a. Respiratory rate of 36 at rest
  b. Appetite slowly increasing
  c. Temperature above 37.7 C (100 F)
  d. New, frequent coughing
  e. Turning blue or bluer than normal

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

aadams68

Answer to Question 1

D
Feedback
A As the caregiver and advocate, the nurse should first meet the child's needs.
B This is a judgmental response and could affect the nurse's relationship with the
child's parents.
C This response does not address the parent's statement.
D Nurses can inform parents that they will not initiate any discussion with the child
but that they intend to respond openly and honestly if and when the child initiates
such a discussion.

Answer to Question 2

C, D, E
Feedback
Correct The parents should be instructed to notify the physician after their infant's
cardiac surgery for a temperature above 37.7 C; new, frequent coughing;
and any episodes of the infant turning blue or bluer than normal.
Incorrect A respiratory rate of 36 at rest for an infant is within normal expectations,
and it is expected that the appetite will increase slowly.

aadams68

Did you know?

A headache when you wake up in the morning is indicative of sinusitis. Other symptoms of sinusitis can include fever, weakness, tiredness, a cough that may be more severe at night, and a runny nose or nasal congestion.

Did you know?

Liver spots have nothing whatsoever to do with the liver. They are a type of freckles commonly seen in older adults who have been out in the sun without sufficient sunscreen.

Did you know?

Patients who cannot swallow may receive nutrition via a parenteral route—usually, a catheter is inserted through the chest into a large vein going into the heart.

Did you know?

Thyroid conditions may make getting pregnant impossible.

Did you know?

In 2006, a generic antinausea drug named ondansetron was approved. It is used to stop nausea and vomiting associated with surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation therapy.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library