Author Question: A nurse tells a client that the nursing staff will start alternating weekend shifts. Which response ... (Read 23 times)

Diane

A nurse tells a client that the nursing staff will start alternating weekend shifts. Which response should a nurse identify as characteristic of clients diagnosed with obsessive-compulsive personality disorder?

A. You really don't have to go by that schedule. I'd just stay home sick.
  B. There has got to be a hidden agenda behind this schedule change.
  C. Who do you think you are? I expect to interact with the same nurse every Saturday.
  D. You can't make these kinds of changes Isn't there a rule that governs this decision?

Question 2

Looking at a slightly bleeding paper cut, the client screams, Somebody help me, quick I'm bleeding. Call 911 A nurse should identify this behavior as characteristic of which personality disorder?

A. Schizoid personality disorder
  B. Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
  C. Histrionic personality disorder
  D. Paranoid personality disorder

Jordin Calloway

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
The nurse should identify that a client diagnosed with obsessive-compulsive personality disorder would have a difficult time accepting change. This disorder is characterized by inflexibility and lack of spontaneity. Individuals diagnosed with this disorder are very serious, formal, over-disciplined, perfectionistic, and preoccupied with rules.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
The nurse should identify this behavior as characteristic of histrionic personality disorder. Individuals diagnosed with this disorder tend to be self-dramatizing, attention seeking, over-gregarious, and seductive.