Author Question: Which statement made by a lactating woman would lead the nurse to believe that the woman might have ... (Read 36 times)

jeatrice

Which statement made by a lactating woman would lead the nurse to believe that the woman might have lactose intolerance?

a. I always have heartburn after I drink milk.
  b. If I drink more than a cup of milk, I usually have abdominal cramps and bloat-ing.
  c. Drinking milk usually makes me break out in hives.
  d. Sometimes I notice that I have bad breath after I drink a cup of milk.

Question 2

An amniocentesis is ordered by a physician. Before the procedure, it is most important that the nurse

a. confirm the client's blood type and Rh factor
  b. review the results of the AFP test
  c. validate the gestational age of the pregnancy
  d. obtain blood chemistry results

mcni194

Answer to Question 1

B

Feedback
A One problem that can interfere with milk consumption is lactose intolerance, which is the inability to digest milk sugar because of a lack of the enzyme lac-tose in the small intestine. Milk consumption may cause abdominal cramping, bloating, and diarrhea in such people, although many lactose-intolerant individ-uals can tolerate small amounts of milk without symptoms.
B These symptoms are consistent with lactose intolerance.
C One problem that can interfere with milk consumption is lactose intolerance, which is the inability to digest milk sugar because of a lack of the enzyme lac-tose in the small intestine. Milk consumption may cause abdominal cramping, bloating, and diarrhea in such people, although many lactose-intolerant individ-uals can tolerate small amounts of milk without symptoms.
D One problem that can interfere with milk consumption is lactose intolerance, which is the inability to digest milk sugar because of a lack of the enzyme lac-tose in the small intestine. Milk consumption may cause abdominal cramping, bloating, and diarrhea in such people, although many lactose-intolerant individ-uals can tolerate small amounts of milk without symptoms.

Answer to Question 2

A
Because hemorrhage and Rh isoimmunization are potential complications of amniocentesis, this information is very important to review prior to amniocentesis. Results of the AFP test, gestational age of the pregnancy, and blood chemistry results are not a priority to review prior to amniocentesis.