Author Question: Breastfeeding is the ideal method for providing nutrition to the human infant and is recommended by ... (Read 25 times)

roselinechinyere27m

Breastfeeding is the ideal method for providing nutrition to the human infant and is recommended by the American Heart Association, the American Academy of Pediatrics, and the World Health Organization.

Infants should be exclusively breastfed for a minimum of 4 months and preferably 6 months. Is this statement true or false? Indicate whether the statement is true or false

Question 2

A pregnant couple has formulated a birth plan and is reviewing it with the nurse at an expectant parent's class. Which aspect of their birth plan would be considered unrealistic and require further discussion with the nurse?

a. My husband and I have agreed that my sister will be my coach since he becomes
  anxious with regard to medical procedures and blood. He will be nearby and
  check on me every so often to make sure everything is OK.
  b. We plan to use the techniques taught in the Lamaze classes to reduce the pain
  experienced during labor.
  c. We want the labor and birth to take place in a birthing room. My husband will
  come in the minute the baby is born.
  d. We do not want the fetal monitor used during labor, since it will interfere with
  movement and doing effleurage.

blakeserpa

Answer to Question 1

T
This statement is correct. Solid food should not be introduced until 4 to 6 months of age.
Breastfeeding should accompany solid food introduction until 1 year of age.

Answer to Question 2

D
Feedback
A This is an acceptable request for a laboring woman.
B Using breathing techniques to alleviate pain is a realistic part of a birth plan.
C Not all fathers are able to be present during the birth; however, this couple has
made a realistic plan that works for their specific situation.
D Since monitoring is essential to assess fetal well-being, it is not a factor that can
be determined by the couple. The nurse should fully explain its importance. The
option for intermittent electronic monitoring could be explored if this is a low
risk pregnancy and as long as labor is progressing normally. The birth plan is a
tool with which parents can explore their childbirth options; however, the plan
must be viewed as tentative.