Author Question: While at a follow-up appointment, the mother of a child with complex health care needs makes this ... (Read 33 times)

vinney12

While at a follow-up appointment, the mother of a child with complex health care needs makes this statement: I think my child would be doing better if I weren't so tired all the time.. What is the nurse's priority response?

1. Why are you tired all the time?
  2. Have there been any changes in your daily routine?
  3. I am sure he is doing as well as can be expected..
  4. I think you are doing everything you can for him..

Question 2

You inspect a male newborn's genitalia. Which of the following would be inappropriate to include in your assessment?

A) Inspecting the genital area for irritated skin
  B) Palpating if testes are descended into the scrotal sac
  C) Inspecting if the urethral opening appears circular
  D) Retracting the foreskin over the glans to assess for secretions

Fayaz00962

Answer to Question 1

Rationale:
1. Questions starting with why are confrontational, and should be avoided.
2. Respite care and caregiver assistance are extremely important for parents of children with complex health care needs. The nurse would need to ask about any changes in the routine of daily care. This leaves it open for the mother to talk more specifically about her schedule.
3. Making this statement is the equivalent of doing nothing for this mother and her child.
4. Making this statement is the equivalent of doing nothing for this mother and her child.

Answer to Question 2

D