Author Question: The nurse at the family planning clinic has done some teaching on oral contraceptives in the waiting ... (Read 24 times)

chandani

The nurse at the family planning clinic has done some teaching on oral contraceptives in the waiting room. The nurse knows that the teaching has been effective when one of the clients responds:

1. I can't take the pill' if I'm over 30.
  2. I can take the pill,' even though I smoke heavily.
  3. My periods will become slightly heavier when I take the pill'.
  4. I can't take the pill' if I have gallbladder disease.

Question 2

A client delivered 30 minutes ago. Which postpartal assessment finding would require close nursing attention?

1. A soaked perineal pad since the last 15-minute check
  2. An edematous perineum
  3. A client with tremors
  4. A fundus located at the umbilicus

josephsuarez

Answer to Question 1

Rationale:
1. There is no age specification for using the pill.
2. Oral contraceptive is contraindicated in women who smoke heavily.
3. Menstrual flow is decreased with the use of oral contraceptives.
4. Oral contraceptive is contraindicated in women with gallbladder disease and those who smoke heavily.

Answer to Question 2

Rationale:
1. A soaked perineal pad contains approximately 100 ml of blood. If the perineal pad becomes soaked in a 15-minute period, continuous observation is necessary.
2. An edematous perineum is a normal postpartal finding.
3. A client with tremors is a normal postpartal finding.
4. A fundus located at the umbilicus is a normal postpartal finding.