This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse preceptor asks a group of nursing students which genetic disease is an umbrella term for a ... (Read 37 times)

Alygatorr01285

A nurse preceptor asks a group of nursing students which genetic disease is an umbrella term for a group (with nine subtypes) of disorders of connective tissue that result in hyperelasticity of skin, hyperflexible joints, vascular fragility, and poor

wound healing. Which response by the students would indicate to the preceptor that they understand? a. Polycystic kidney disease c. Marfan syndrome
  b. Ehlers-Danlos syn-drome (EDS) d. Von Recklinghausen disease

Question 2

In talking with the family after the loss of their infant, which statement would be appropriate?

a. You both are young. I'm sure you can have other children.
  b. He's in good hands. He's in heaven.
  c. It's not right for us to question God's plan and will in our lives.
  d. I don't know that I can say anything that would make you feel better, but I just want you to know that I'm very sorry your baby died.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Madisongo23

Answer to Question 1

B
The preceptor would know that the students understand if they reply Ehlers-Danlos syndrome (EDS). Ehlers-Danlos syndrome (EDS) is an umbrella term for a group (with nine subtypes) of disorders of connective tissue that result in hyperelasticity of skin, hyperflexible joints, vascular fragility, and poor wound healing. Polycystic kidney disease is a disorder that causes cysts in the kidneys, liver, pancreas, and spleen. Marfan syndrome is another disorder of connective tissue, involving a triad of ocular, skeletal, and cardiovascular alterations. Von Recklinghausen disease is the development of multiple soft tumors of peripheral nerves, or neurofibromas, and an abnormal skin pigmentation.

Answer to Question 2

D
The most appropriate statement to a family after the loss of their infant is, I don't know that I can say anything that would make you feel better, but I just want you to know that I'm very sorry your baby died. This response demonstrates empathy in a caring, professional manner. Telling the parents that they are still young and can have other children is a very noncaring response that does not support the grieving parents. Saying that the baby is in heaven or that it's not right to question God minimizes the significance of the parents' loss and may antagonize clients of various religions.

Did you know?

Between 1999 and 2012, American adults with high total cholesterol decreased from 18.3% to 12.9%

Did you know?

A serious new warning has been established for pregnant women against taking ACE inhibitors during pregnancy. In the study, the risk of major birth defects in children whose mothers took ACE inhibitors during the first trimester was nearly three times higher than in children whose mothers didn't take ACE inhibitors. Physicians can prescribe alternative medications for pregnant women who have symptoms of high blood pressure.

Did you know?

Patients who cannot swallow may receive nutrition via a parenteral route—usually, a catheter is inserted through the chest into a large vein going into the heart.

Did you know?

The familiar sounds of your heart are made by the heart's valves as they open and close.

Did you know?

Only 12 hours after an egg cell is fertilized by a sperm cell, the egg cell starts to divide. As it continues to divide, it moves along the fallopian tube toward the uterus at about 1 inch per day.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library