Author Question: The nurse is performing discharge teaching for the parents of a child who had a tonsillectomy. Which ... (Read 65 times)

dollx

The nurse is performing discharge teaching for the parents of a child who had a tonsillectomy. Which of the following instructions would be most appropriate to include?

A) Call the doctor immediately if you see dark reddish-brown blood in his vomit.
  B) Get him to drink orange juice or iced tea to help soothe his sore throat.
  C) Try using an ice collar or ice chips to make him more comfortable.
  D) Encourage him to cough and clear his throat to remove any dried mucus.

Question 2

After teaching a woman with a postpartum infection about care after discharge, which client statement indicates the need for additional teaching?

A) I need to call my doctor if my temperature goes above 100.4 degrees F.
  B) When I put on a new pad, I'll start at the back and go forward.
  C) If I have chills or my discharge has a strange odor, I'll call my doctor.
  D) I'll point the spray of the peri-bottle so it the water flows front to back.

durant1234

Answer to Question 1

C
Response:
An ice collar can help alleviate pain and ice chips are soothing to the throat. Some dark old blood may be noted in the child's vomitus, and this is normal, but the appearance of bright red blood should be reported immediately. Citrus juice and brown or red fluids should be avoided because the acid in citrus juice may irritate the throat and red or brown fluids may be confused with blood if vomiting occurs. To avoid trauma to the surgical site, the child should be discouraged from coughing, clearing the throat, blowing the nose, and using straws.

Answer to Question 2

B
Response:
The woman needs additional teaching when she states that she should apply the perineal pad starting at the back and going forward. The pad should be applied using a front-to-back motion. Notifying the health care provider of a temperature above 100.4 degrees F, aiming the peri-bottle spray so that the flow goes from front to back, and reporting danger signs such as chills or lochia with a strange odor indicate effective teaching.