This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Which measure may prevent mastitis in a breastfeeding mother? a. Initiating early and frequent ... (Read 45 times)

NguyenJ

Which measure may prevent mastitis in a breastfeeding mother?

a. Initiating early and frequent feedings
  b. Nursing the infant for 5 minutes on each breast
  c. Wearing a tight-fitting bra
  d. Applying ice packs prior to feeding

Question 2

When responding to the question, Will I produce enough milk for my baby as she grows and needs more milk at each feeding? the nurse should explain that:

a. the breast milk will gradually become richer to supply additional calories.
  b. as the infant requires more milk, feedings can be supplemented with cow's milk.
  c. early addition of baby food will meet the infant's needs.
  d. the mother's milk supply will increase as the infant demands more at each feeding.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Expo

Answer to Question 1

A
Early and frequent feedings prevent stasis of milk, which contributes to engorgement and mastitis.
Five minutes does not adequately empty the breast. This will produce stasis of the milk.
A firm-fitting bra will support the breast, but not prevent mastitis. The breast should not be bound.
Warm packs before feeding will increase the flow of milk.

Answer to Question 2

D
The amount of milk produced depends on the amount of stimulation of the breast. Increased demand with more frequent and longer breastfeeding sessions results in more milk available for the infant.

NguyenJ

Reply 2 on: Jun 28, 2018
Wow, this really help

mammy1697

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

Aspirin is the most widely used drug in the world. It has even been recognized as such by the Guinness Book of World Records.

Did you know?

The average older adult in the United States takes five prescription drugs per day. Half of these drugs contain a sedative. Alcohol should therefore be avoided by most senior citizens because of the dangerous interactions between alcohol and sedatives.

Did you know?

The Food and Drug Administration has approved Risperdal, an adult antipsychotic drug, for the symptomatic treatment of irritability in children and adolescents with autism. The approval is the first for the use of a drug to treat behaviors associated with autism in children. These behaviors are included under the general heading of irritability and include aggression, deliberate self-injury, and temper tantrums.

Did you know?

This year, an estimated 1.4 million Americans will have a new or recurrent heart attack.

Did you know?

Elderly adults are living longer, and causes of death are shifting. At the same time, autopsy rates are at or near their lowest in history.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library