Author Question: Following diagnosis of Crohn's disease, the nurse is explaining dietary modifications to the ... (Read 28 times)

saliriagwu

Following diagnosis of Crohn's disease, the nurse is explaining dietary modifications to the teenagers. The nurse would recommend: Standard Text: Select all that apply.

1. Increased fiber in the diet to promote solid stools.
  2. Small, frequent feedings are preferred over three meals a day.
  3. Identify foods that cause distress and eliminate them from the diet.
  4. High-calorie dietary supplement shakes can help meet nutritional requirements.
  5. Socialization is important at mealtime no matter the dynamics.

Question 2

The nurse is teaching a group of parents about car safety. Which statement by a parent requires additional teaching?

1. The safest place in the car for the baby is the middle of the back seat.
  2. I will use a rear facing car seat for my baby.
  3. I will take the car seat to the local police station for them to check placement and safety.
  4. For the trip home from the birth hospital, I will bucket myself in the back seat and hold the baby carefully. I am borrowing a car seat and should have it by my next trip out.

vickybb89

Answer to Question 1

Rationale 1: Fiber should be decreased, not increased, as diarrhea is one of the symptoms of Crohn's disease.
Rationale 2: This is correct information.
Rationale 3: This is individualizing the diet and is appropriate.
Rationale 4: This addition provides an easy way to meet the nutritional needs.
Rationale 5: Stress should be avoided at mealtimes.
Global

Answer to Question 2

Rationale 1: This is correct information and does not require additional teaching.
Rationale 2: This is correct information and does not require additional teaching.
Rationale 3: This is a safe practice and does not require additional teaching
Rationale 4: While the mother recognizes the need for the car seat, she hasn't shown adequate preparation. The baby should not be discharged without a car seat in the car. The nurse will want to reinforce the need for a car seat on every trip and may need to help the mother find a way to obtain a car seat for the trip home.
Global Rationale: