This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: In order to prepare a six-year-old client for an intravenous catheter insertion, the nurse's best ... (Read 45 times)

ghost!

In order to prepare a six-year-old client for an intravenous catheter insertion, the nurse's best response would be:

1. If I were you, I would hold very still so that it will only take one stick.
  2. It is okay to cry. I know that this hurts.
  3. Why are you crying? I thought that you were a tough kid.
  4. Don't worry a bit; this is just like a little mosquito bite.

Question 2

When a child is experiencing acute pain, the pain stimulates which system?

1. Adrenergic nervous system
   2. Limbic system
   3. Autonomic nervous system
   4. Reticular system

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

aadams68

Answer to Question 1

Rationale 1: This statement may be confusing to the six-year-old child. In addition, it is telling the child what to do.
Rationale 2: This statement is an accepting response that lets a child know that it is okay to express feelings.
Rationale 3: This statement belittles the child's expressed feelings. Children should not be told to not cry. Children and adults should be able to express their feelings.
Rationale 4: In order to maintain trust, it is important to be honest. To a child, an IV stick is not a mosquito bite. Telling a child not to worry will not make the child feel better.
Global Rationale:

Answer to Question 2

Rationale:
1. Acute pain stimulates the adrenergic nervous system and results in physiology changes, including tachycardia, tachypnea, hypertension, pupil dilation, pallor, increased perspiration, and increased secretion of catecholamine and adrenocorticoid hormones.
2. The limbic system is not stimulated with acute pain.
3. The autonomic nervous system, or the fight-or-flight system, is not stimulated with acute pain.
4. The reticular system is not stimulated with acute pain.

ghost!

Reply 2 on: Jun 28, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

patma1981

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

Famous people who died from poisoning or drug overdose include, Adolf Hitler, Socrates, Juan Ponce de Leon, Marilyn Monroe, Judy Garland, and John Belushi.

Did you know?

More than 34,000 trademarked medication names and more than 10,000 generic medication names are in use in the United States.

Did you know?

The U.S. Pharmacopeia Medication Errors Reporting Program states that approximately 50% of all medication errors involve insulin.

Did you know?

Opium has influenced much of the world's most popular literature. The following authors were all opium users, of varying degrees: Lewis Carroll, Charles, Dickens, Arthur Conan Doyle, and Oscar Wilde.

Did you know?

A cataract is a clouding of the eyes' natural lens. As we age, some clouding of the lens may occur. The first sign of a cataract is usually blurry vision. Although glasses and other visual aids may at first help a person with cataracts, surgery may become inevitable. Cataract surgery is very successful in restoring vision, and it is the most frequently performed surgery in the United States.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library