This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: In order to prepare a 6-year-old client for an intravenous catheter insertion, the nurse's best ... (Read 47 times)

strangeaffliction

In order to prepare a 6-year-old client for an intravenous catheter insertion, the nurse's best response would be:

1. If I were you, I would hold very still so that it will only take one stick.

2. It is okay to cry. I know that this hurts.

3. Don't worry a bit, this is just like a little mosquito bite.

4. Why are you crying? I thought that you were a tough kid.

Question 2

Students are observing a staff nurse who is empathic with the child undergoing chemotherapy. The students observe the nurse interplaying the internalized feelings of the child and the child's experiences or fantasies.

The students recognize that the nurse, while fully absorbed in the identity of the child, still identifies himself as a separate personality. The student who correctly understands empathy recognizes the phase of empathy as: 1. Detachment.

2. Identification.

3. Reverberation.

4. Incorporation.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

gabrielle_lawrence

Answer to Question 1

Rationale:

1. If I were you, I would hold very still so that it will only take one stick has confusing terminology, and is advising the child on what he should do.
2. It is okay to cry. I know that this hurts is an accepting response that lets a child know that it is okay to express feelings.
3. Don't worry a bit, this is just like a little mosquito bite gives false reassurance.
4. Why are you crying? I thought that you were a tough kid belittles the child's expressed feelings.

Answer to Question 2

Rationale:

1. Withdrawing from subjective involvement describes detachment.
2. Becoming absorbed in contemplating the child describes identification.
3. Interplaying the internalized feelings of the child correctly describes reverberation.
4. Taking in the experiences of the child describes incorporation.

Did you know?

Approximately 15–25% of recognized pregnancies end in miscarriage. However, many miscarriages often occur before a woman even knows she is pregnant.

Did you know?

Hyperthyroidism leads to an increased rate of metabolism and affects about 1% of women but only 0.1% of men. For most people, this increased metabolic rate causes the thyroid gland to become enlarged (known as a goiter).

Did you know?

To combat osteoporosis, changes in lifestyle and diet are recommended. At-risk patients should include 1,200 to 1,500 mg of calcium daily either via dietary means or with supplements.

Did you know?

Malaria was not eliminated in the United States until 1951. The term eliminated means that no new cases arise in a country for 3 years.

Did you know?

Only 12 hours after an egg cell is fertilized by a sperm cell, the egg cell starts to divide. As it continues to divide, it moves along the fallopian tube toward the uterus at about 1 inch per day.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library