Author Question: An 8-year-old child states, Whenever I have to stop playing my video game to take my medicine, I get ... (Read 47 times)

Engineer

An 8-year-old child states, Whenever I have to stop playing my video game to take my medicine, I get very mad The most appropriate response for the nurse to make would be:

1. You are telling me that you get mad. Tell me what you mean by mad.

2. You need your medicine to get better; you know this.

3. You need to just quit acting like a baby and take your medicine like a big boy.

4. You are going to be just fine, you only have three more days to take this medicine.

Question 2

The nurse is having difficulty coping with the impending death of a child. Which of the following would most likely be the best resource for the nurse at this time?

1. Unit manager
   2. Co-workers
   3. Spouse
   4. Hospice nurses

ilianabrrr

Answer to Question 1

Rationale:

1. You are telling me that you get mad. Tell me what you mean by mad utilizes the therapeutic technique of clarifying.
2. You need your medicine to get better; you know this imposes the nurse's own values on the child.
3. You need to just quit acting like a baby and take your medicine like a big boy is a stereotypical answer.
4. You are going to be just fine, you only have three more days to take this medicine does not address the child's feelings, and gives false reassurance.

Answer to Question 2

Rationale:
1. The unit manager also might have a difficult time with the impending death.
2. Co-workers will also have a difficult time with the death.
3. The spouse might not fully understand why this is affecting the nurse.
4. Mentorship with experienced hospice nurses as well as additional educational experiences could help promote professional nursing care.