This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is caring for a child with thalassemia who is receiving chelation therapy at home using a ... (Read 12 times)

anshika

The nurse is caring for a child with thalassemia who is receiving chelation therapy at home using a battery-operated pump. After teaching the parents about this treatment, which statement by the mother indicates a need for additional teaching?

A) I can have the nurse administer the chelation therapy if I am uncomfortable.
  B) I must be very careful to strictly adhere to the chelation regimen.
  C) The deferoxamine binds to the iron so it can be removed from the body.
  D) The medication can be administered while my child is sleeping.

Question 2

The nurse is caring for a child who has been admitted for a sickle cell crisis. What would the nurse do first to provide adequate pain management?

A) Administer a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) as ordered.
  B) Use guided imagery and therapeutic touch.
  C) Administer meperidine as ordered.
  D) Initiate pain assessment with a standardized pain scale.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Qarqy

Answer to Question 1

Ans: A
The nurse needs to emphasize to the mother that therapy must be maintained at home to continuously decrease the iron levels in the child's body. Family members need to be taught to administer deferoxamine subcutaneously with a small battery-powered infusion pump over a several-hour period each night (usually while the child is sleeping).

Answer to Question 2

Ans: D
The nurse should first initiate pain assessment with a standardized pain scale upon admission and provide frequent evaluations of pain. Administering NSAIDs or meperidine and the use of nonpharmacologic pain management techniques are all appropriate. However, the first action is to assess the child's pain to provide a baseline for future comparison.

anshika

Reply 2 on: Jun 28, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

mjenn52

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

The Food and Drug Administration has approved Risperdal, an adult antipsychotic drug, for the symptomatic treatment of irritability in children and adolescents with autism. The approval is the first for the use of a drug to treat behaviors associated with autism in children. These behaviors are included under the general heading of irritability and include aggression, deliberate self-injury, and temper tantrums.

Did you know?

Your skin wrinkles if you stay in the bathtub a long time because the outermost layer of skin (which consists of dead keratin) swells when it absorbs water. It is tightly attached to the skin below it, so it compensates for the increased area by wrinkling. This happens to the hands and feet because they have the thickest layer of dead keratin cells.

Did you know?

By definition, when a medication is administered intravenously, its bioavailability is 100%.

Did you know?

When blood is exposed to air, it clots. Heparin allows the blood to come in direct contact with air without clotting.

Did you know?

The liver is the only organ that has the ability to regenerate itself after certain types of damage. As much as 25% of the liver can be removed, and it will still regenerate back to its original shape and size. However, the liver cannot regenerate after severe damage caused by alcohol.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library