This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The prenatal clinic nurse is responding to a patient who has had an assessment for fetal well-being. ... (Read 15 times)

roselinechinyere27m

The prenatal clinic nurse is responding to a patient who has had an assessment for fetal well-being. Which statement indicates that the patient understands the test result?

1. The normal Doppler velocimetry wave result indicates my placenta is getting enough blood to the baby.
  2. The reactive nonstress test means that my baby is not growing because of a lack of oxygen.
  3. Because my contraction stress test was positive, we know that my baby will tolerate labor well.
  4. My biophysical profile score of 6 points indicates everything being normal and healthy for my baby.

Question 2

The nurse is preparing a patient in her second trimester for a three-dimensional ultrasound examination. Which statement indicates that teaching had been effective?

1. If the ultrasound is normal, it means my baby has no abnormalities.
  2. The nuchal translucency measurement will diagnose Down syndrome.
  3. I might be able to see who the baby looks like with the ultrasound.
  4. Measuring the length of my cervix will determine if I will deliver early.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Hikerman221

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 1
Rationale 1: The Doppler velocimetry test looks at blood flow through the umbilical artery. A normal result indicates there is no vasospasm decreasing blood flow to the placenta; therefore, the baby is getting an adequate blood supply.
Rationale 2: The nonstress test utilizes external fetal monitoring to assess the fetal heart rate in relationship to fetal movement. When accelerations in the fetal heart rate are associated with fetal movement (a reactive result), the fetus is well oxygenated, and the placenta is functioning well.
Rationale 3: A contraction stress test creates mild contractions. The presence of decelerations is termed a positive result and indicates a lack of adequate placental functioning.
Rationale 4: The biophysical profile score should be 8 (with adequate amniotic fluid) or 10. A score of 6 is abnormal and indicates that further assessment is needed.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 3
Rationale 1: Not all fetal anomalies are detectable by ultrasound.
Rationale 2: Nuchal translucency measurements are screening, not diagnostic, for trisomies 13, 18, and 21.
Rationale 3: Ultrasounds provide a very clear photo-like image of the fetus, often providing parents the opportunity to identify a familial characteristic such as nose shape.
Rationale 4: Transvaginal ultrasound is used to measure the cervical length as a screening for risk of preterm labor. However, a normal-length cervix does not preclude preterm birth.

roselinechinyere27m

Reply 2 on: Jun 28, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

isabelt_18

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

The tallest man ever known was Robert Wadlow, an American, who reached the height of 8 feet 11 inches. He died at age 26 years from an infection caused by the immense weight of his body (491 pounds) and the stress on his leg bones and muscles.

Did you know?

Automated pill dispensing systems have alarms to alert patients when the correct dosing time has arrived. Most systems work with many varieties of medications, so patients who are taking a variety of drugs can still be in control of their dose regimen.

Did you know?

The modern decimal position system was the invention of the Hindus (around 800 AD), involving the placing of numerals to indicate their value (units, tens, hundreds, and so on).

Did you know?

Alcohol acts as a diuretic. Eight ounces of water is needed to metabolize just 1 ounce of alcohol.

Did you know?

The calories found in one piece of cherry cheesecake could light a 60-watt light bulb for 1.5 hours.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library