Author Question: A pregnant patient who is a lacto-ovo vegetarian asks the nurse to help her plan a diet that ... (Read 31 times)

yoooooman

A pregnant patient who is a lacto-ovo vegetarian asks the nurse to help her plan a diet that includes adequate protein intake. What instruction should the nurse give?

1. Because you don't eat meat, eggs, or dairy products, it's important to eat adequate plant-based proteins.
  2. To improve protein absorption, avoid simultaneous intake of animal protein and plant protein.
  3. Following a lacto-ovo vegetarian diet will require you to take a daily supplement of vitamin B12.
  4. In addition to eggs and dairy products, beans, peanut butter, and soy milk can be effective sources of plant-based proteins.

Question 2

The nurse is conducting a postpartum home visit. The patient has been home for a week and is formula feeding her infant. Which statement by the patient indicates that she understands the teaching?

1. I have increased my caloric intake by 600 calories per day.
  2. My dietician has set my weight loss goal at 1 to 2 pounds per week.
  3. Instead of making another doctor's appointment, I started a diet that my best friend recommended.
  4. My daily regimen includes taking extra vitamin A, vitamin C, and thiamine in order to meet my body's increased need for nutrients after pregnancy.

nyrave

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 4
Rationale 1: While lacto-ovo vegetarians do not eat meat, they do eat eggs, milk, and dairy products.
Rationale 2: Plant protein quality can be improved if it is consumed with certain animal proteins.
Rationale 3: Vegan diets, in which no animal products are consumed, often require daily supplementation of vitamin B12.
Rationale 4: A diet that includes plant proteins such as beans and rice, peanut butter on whole-grain bread, and whole-grain cereal with soymilk, helps ensure the expectant mother obtains all the essential amino acids.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 2
Rationale 1: If the mother has a good understanding of nutritional principles, it is sufficient to advise her to reduce her daily caloric intake by about 300 kcal and to return to pre-pregnancy levels for other nutrients.
Rationale 2: Weight loss goals of 1 to 2 lb. (0.45 to 0.9 kg)/week are usually suggested for mothers who formula feed.
Rationale 3: The woman should diet only under the guidance of her primary healthcare provider.
Rationale 4: After birth, the formula-feeding mother's dietary requirements return to pre-pregnancy levels.