Author Question: The nurse teaches a group of parents strategies to reduce the risk of lead exposure for their ... (Read 33 times)

Bob-Dole

The nurse teaches a group of parents strategies to reduce the risk of lead exposure for their children. Which statements indicate an appropriate understanding of the content presented?

1. We will provide our child with frequent snacks high in iron and calcium.
  2. We will wash any surfaces that have peeling paint.
  3. We will store leftovers in a ceramic pot.
  4. We can continue to use our traditional-medicine treatment, azarcon, for any GI upset.
  5. We will sand the windowsills to remove the lead-based paint.

Question 2

A child is admitted to the hospital unit with physical injuries. The nurse is taking the child's history. Which statement by the parent would arouse suspicion of abuse?

1. I did not realize that my baby was able to roll over yet, and I was just gone a minute to check on dinner when the baby rolled off of the couch and onto our tile floor.
  2. The baby's 18-month-old brother was trying to pull the baby out of the crib and dropped the baby on the floor.
  3. I placed the baby in the infant swing. His 6-year-old brother was running through the house and tripped over the swing, causing it to fall.
  4. I was walking up the steps and slipped on the ice, falling while carrying my baby.

courtney_bruh

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 1,2
Rationale: Snacks and meals high in iron and calcium should be encouraged. Lead is absorbed more readily on an empty stomach. Any surface with peeling paint should be washed with a damp sponge. Ceramic pots, if fired improperly, could contain lead. Food should not be prepared or stored in them. Azarcon, a traditional medicine used to treat a coliclike illness, may contain large amounts of lead. Sanding the windowsills will cause the lead to be dispersed in the air, leading to lead poisoning.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 2
Rationale: All of the statements made by the parent are plausible from a developmental perspective except the statement The baby's 18-month-old brother was trying to pull the baby out of the crib and dropped the baby on the floor. Developmentally, it would be very difficult for an 18-month-old child to pull an infant out of a crib.