This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: An school-age client who recently moved to a new school in a different town presents to an ... (Read 25 times)

oliviahorn72

An school-age client who recently moved to a new school in a different town presents to an ambulatory care center and describes the following: I have no friends in my new school, and I no longer want to go to play soccer.

I know I will be lonely there, too. Which of these takes priority when speaking with the school-age client?
  1. Helping the school-age client realize the value of soccer
  2. Promoting healthy mental-health outcomes
  3. Acknowledging the fact that it takes several months to make new friends at a new school
  4. Stressing the importance of remaining in a close parentchild relationship during these stressful times

Question 2

The school nurse performs screenings on all students in the middle school. In addition, the nurse will perform selected screenings on individual school-age children.

When planning the screenings for the year, which screenings will the nurse include for all school-age children?
  Standard Text: Select all that apply.
  1. Hearing
  2. Height and weight
  3. Blood-pressure measurement
  4. Hepatitis B profile serology
  5. Chest x-ray

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

cupcake16

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 2
Rationale: The school-age client is obviously lonely with the move to the new school. The nurse should focus on appropriate coping skills, which will enhance good mental-health outcomes for the child. It would not be appropriate to discuss the importance of soccer at this time, since the school-age client must deal with the loss of friends and developing new friendships first. The parentchild relationship should not be used as a substitute for the development of new peer relationships.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 1,2,3
Rationale: Routine screening for school-age children include hearing, checking for height and weight, and blood-pressure measurements. The hepatitis B profile is only needed once, prior to administration of hepatitis B vaccine; however, this is not a required screening for all school-age children. A chest x-ray is not a routine screening test for school-age children.

cupcake16

Did you know?

The effects of organophosphate poisoning are referred to by using the abbreviations “SLUD” or “SLUDGE,” It stands for: salivation, lacrimation, urination, defecation, GI upset, and emesis.

Did you know?

After a vasectomy, it takes about 12 ejaculations to clear out sperm that were already beyond the blocked area.

Did you know?

During pregnancy, a woman is more likely to experience bleeding gums and nosebleeds caused by hormonal changes that increase blood flow to the mouth and nose.

Did you know?

Automated pill dispensing systems have alarms to alert patients when the correct dosing time has arrived. Most systems work with many varieties of medications, so patients who are taking a variety of drugs can still be in control of their dose regimen.

Did you know?

In 1864, the first barbiturate (barbituric acid) was synthesized.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library