Author Question: The nurse is counseling a pregnant 35-year-old woman about estimated risk of Down syndrome. What is ... (Read 64 times)

HudsonKB16

The nurse is counseling a pregnant 35-year-old woman about estimated risk of Down syndrome. What is the estimated risk for a woman who is 35 years of age?

a. One in 1200
  b. One in 900
  c. One in 350
  d. One in 100

Question 2

The nurse is teaching feeding strategies to a parent of a 12-month-old infant with Down syndrome. What statement made by the parent indicates a need for further teaching?

a. If the food is thrust out, I will reefed it.
  b. I will use a small, long, straight-handled spoon.
  c. I will place the food on the top of the tongue.
  d. I know the tongue thrust doesn't indicate a refusal of the food.

babybsemail

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
The estimated risk of Down syndrome for a 35-year-old woman is one in 350. One in 1200 is the risk for a 25-year-old woman, one in 900 is the risk for a 30-yearold woman, and one in 100 is the risk for a 40-year-old woman.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Parents of a child with Down syndrome need to know that the tongue thrust does not indicate refusal to feed but is a physiologic response. Parents are advised to use a small but long, straight-handled spoon to push the food toward the back and side of the mouth. If food is thrust out, it should be refed. If the parent indicates placing the food on the tongue, further teaching is needed.