Author Question: The nurse knows that late postpartum hemorrhage can be prevented by: a. manually removing the ... (Read 23 times)

itsmyluck

The nurse knows that late postpartum hemorrhage can be prevented by:

a. manually removing the placenta.
  b. inspecting the placenta after birth.
  c. administering broad-spectrum antibiotics.
  d. pulling on the umbilical cord to hasten the birth of the placenta.

Question 2

Which statement by a postpartum client indicates that further teaching is not needed regarding thrombus formation?

a. I'll keep my legs elevated with pillows.
  b. I'll sit in my rocking chair most of the time.
  c. I'll stay in bed for the first 3 days after my baby is born.
  d. I'll put my support stockings on every morning before rising.

lkanara2

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
If a portion of the placenta is missing, the clinician can explore the uterus, locate the missing fragments, and remove the potential cause of late postpartum hemorrhage. Manual removal of the placenta increases the risk of postpartum hemorrhage. Broad-spectrum antibiotics will be given if postpartum infection is suspected. The placenta is usually delivered 5 to 30 minutes after birth of the baby without pulling on the cord. That can cause uterine inversion.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
Venous congestion begins as soon as the client stands up. The stockings should be applied before she rises from the bed in the morning. The client should avoid knee pillows because they increase pressure on the popliteal space. Sitting in a chair with legs in a dependent position causes pooling of blood in the lower extremities. As soon as possible, the client should ambulate frequently.