This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A client who has type 2 diabetes is pregnant with her second child. She was not diagnosed with ... (Read 7 times)

james

A client who has type 2 diabetes is pregnant with her second child. She was not diagnosed with diabetes until after her first pregnancy. Past obstetric history is unremarkablespontan eous vaginal birth of a male weighing 7 pounds, 15 ounces.

The client is now concerned over what will happen during this subsequent pregnancy as a result of her disease process. What impact could the disease process have on her upcoming birth?

a. Client will not be able to receive an epidural for pain management.
  b. Client will not be able to have a vaginal birth.
  c. A planned birth will be instituted by her health care provider.
  d. It is likely that she will deliver a fetus who is small for gestational age (SGA).

Question 2

A client has tested HIV-positive and has now discovered that she is pregnant. Which statement indicates that she understands the risks of this diagnosis?

a. I know I will need to have an abortion as soon as possible.
  b. Even though my test is positive, my baby might not be affected.
  c. My baby is certain to have AIDS and die within the first year of life.
  d. This pregnancy will probably decrease the chance that I will develop AIDS.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

kkenney

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
Because of the presence of diabetes as a concurrent disease, the client will be closely monitored and a planned birth will be instituted to improve health outcomes for mother and fetus. Epidurals can be administered to obstetric clients who are diabetics. Although there is an increased risk for macrosomia and dystocia, the client will be prospectively managed and may still be able to have a vaginal birth. Because of the presence of diabetes as a concurrent disease, it is more likely that she will deliver a macrosomic infant who would be large for gestational age (LGA).

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
The fetus is likely to test positive for HIV in the first 6 months, until the inherited immunity from the mother wears off. Many of these babies will convert to HIV-negative status. With the newer drugs, the risk for infection of the fetus has decreased. Also, the life span of an infected newborn has increased. The pregnancy will increase the chance of converting.

james

Reply 2 on: Jun 28, 2018
Wow, this really help

sailorcrescent

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Did you know?

The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force recommends that all women age 65 years of age or older should be screened with bone densitometry.

Did you know?

There are 20 feet of blood vessels in each square inch of human skin.

Did you know?

Eating food that has been cooked with poppy seeds may cause you to fail a drug screening test, because the seeds contain enough opiate alkaloids to register as a positive.

Did you know?

Today, nearly 8 out of 10 pregnant women living with HIV (about 1.1 million), receive antiretrovirals.

Did you know?

The average person is easily confused by the terms pharmaceutics and pharmacology, thinking they are one and the same. Whereas pharmaceutics is the science of preparing and dispensing drugs (otherwise known as the science of pharmacy), pharmacology is the study of medications.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library