This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The pregnant woman tells the nurse, I think something may be wrong with my pregnancy. Which ... (Read 34 times)

brutforce

The pregnant woman tells the nurse, I think something may be wrong with my pregnancy. Which statement by the nurse demonstrates therapeutic communication?

a. Most women worry; I felt the same way when I was pregnant.
  b. Tell me more about what concerns you about this pregnancy.
  c. That is a very common concern, but your pregnancy will turn out just fine.
  d. You should focus on taking care of yourself and not worry so much.

Question 2

The nurse is teaching a group of nursing students about behaviors that can block or open lines of communication. Which behaviors open the lines of communication? (Select all that apply).

a. Sitting at the bedside
  b. Leaning forward with arms relaxed
  c. Acknowledging the client's comments or feelings
  d. Self-disclosing about your personal birth experience
  e. Holding a laptop computer in front of your body during an interview

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

juiceman1987

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
Questioning is a therapeutic communication technique in which additional information is elicited by using open-ended questions. The remaining options are examples of three behaviors that block communicationinappr opriate self-disclosure, providing false reassurance, and giving advice.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A, B, C

Behaviors that open the lines of communication can be described as attending behaviors, which convey the nurse's interest and a sincere desire to understand. Acknowledging the client's comments or feelings is an attending behavior. Nonverbal behaviors are just as powerful as spoken words. The nurse should convey an open attitude, such as sitting at the bedside and leaning forward with arms relaxed while listening. Self-disclosing is inappropriate and closes lines of communication. Holding a laptop on your lap during the interview process is putting a barrier between the nurse and client.

brutforce

Reply 2 on: Jun 28, 2018
Gracias!

raenoj

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

The average adult has about 21 square feet of skin.

Did you know?

Human stomach acid is strong enough to dissolve small pieces of metal such as razor blades or staples.

Did you know?

The FDA recognizes 118 routes of administration.

Did you know?

The first successful kidney transplant was performed in 1954 and occurred in Boston. A kidney from an identical twin was transplanted into his dying brother's body and was not rejected because it did not appear foreign to his body.

Did you know?

People with high total cholesterol have about two times the risk for heart disease as people with ideal levels.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library