Author Question: A nurse is working with a young couple whose contraceptive choice is latex condoms. What statement ... (Read 39 times)

09madisonrousseau09

A nurse is working with a young couple whose contraceptive choice is latex condoms. What statement by either partner indicates the need for more teaching?

A.
  Man: I don't carry these in my wallet in my pants pockets.
  B.
  Man: I make sure I am using the correct size of condom.
  C.
  Woman: I ask him to check the expiration dates each time.
  D.
  Woman: I buy nonoxynol-9 spermicide to use with condoms.

Question 2

A woman who was recently fitted for a diaphragm is in the clinic for a follow-up visit. Which statement by the patient indicates that teaching was effective?

A.
  An added benefit is that it contains my menstrual flow.
  B.
  Baby oil is a cheap and effective lubricant for the diaphragm.
  C.
  I leave the diaphragm in place for 6 hours after intercourse.
  D.
  This diaphragm will have to be replaced within 3 years.

connor417

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
Nonoxynol-9 (N-9) spermicide is no longer recommended for use with condoms because of higher costs, shorter shelf life, and lack of additive benefit when compared to other spermicides. Also, N-9 can cause genital lesions and increases the woman's risk of acquiring HIV and other sexually transmitted infections, especially when the condoms are used often. The other statements are correct. Condoms should be stored in a cool place, which makes placing them in wallets or pants pockets an incorrect action. Men should be sure to use the correct size. Condoms should be discarded if they are past their expiration date.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
The diaphragm should be left in place for 6 hours after intercourse. If intercourse occurs again before 6 hours have passed, the diaphragm must be left in place for 6 hours after the last act of intercourse. Diaphragms should not be used during a woman's menstrual period. Oil-based lubricants such as baby oil can deteriorate the latex. The diaphragm should be replaced every 2 years.