This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The parent of a 1-year-old child with tetralogy of Fallot asks the nurse, Why do my child's ... (Read 93 times)

justinmsk

The parent of a 1-year-old child with tetralogy of Fallot asks the nurse, Why do my child's fingertips look like that? On what understanding does the nurse base a response?

a. Clubbing occurs as a result of untreated congestive heart failure.
  b. Clubbing occurs as a result of a left-to-right shunting of blood.
  c. Clubbing occurs as a result of decreased cardiac output.
  d. Clubbing occurs as a result of chronic hypoxia.

Question 2

The nurse explained how to position an infant with tetralogy of Fallot if the infant suddenly becomes cyanotic. Which statement by the father leads the nurse to determine he understood the instructions?

a. If the baby turns blue, I will hold him against my shoulder with his knees bent up toward his chest.
  b. If the baby turns blue, I will lay him down on a firm surface with his head lower than the rest of his body.
  c. If the baby turns blue, I will immediately put the baby upright in an infant seat.
  d. If the baby turns blue, I will put the baby in supine position with his head elevated.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Li Jun

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
Clubbing of the fingers develops in response to chronic hypoxia.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
In the event of a paroxysmal hypercyanotic or tet spell, the infant should be placed in a knee-chest position.

justinmsk

Reply 2 on: Jun 28, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

lindahyatt42

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

The heart is located in the center of the chest, with part of it tipped slightly so that it taps against the left side of the chest.

Did you know?

People with high total cholesterol have about two times the risk for heart disease as people with ideal levels.

Did you know?

Bacteria have flourished on the earth for over three billion years. They were the first life forms on the planet.

Did you know?

In 2012, nearly 24 milliion Americans, aged 12 and older, had abused an illicit drug, according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA).

Did you know?

Fewer than 10% of babies are born on their exact due dates, 50% are born within 1 week of the due date, and 90% are born within 2 weeks of the date.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library