This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Amanda was disturbed by her sales manager Madeline's request. Initially, the request seemed ... (Read 60 times)

asmith134

Amanda was disturbed by her sales manager Madeline's request. Initially, the request seemed reasonable: Madeline asked Amanda to pose as a customer and call competitors to gather pricing, service, and new product information. Madeline could then use this information to enhance their company's position.

After pondering the request, Amanda wondered, Is this ethical? Would I get in trouble if the competitor finds out I'm not really a customer?

Just then, Madeline walked into Amanda's office.

Amanda, Madeline stated, I need that pricing information tomorrow. Have you started contacting competitors yet?

Amanda thought quickly and responded . . .

Are there any sources of information other than customers that Amanda could use to appease her supervisor?

Question 2

Amanda was disturbed by her sales manager Madeline's request. Initially, the request seemed reasonable: Madeline asked Amanda to pose as a customer and call competitors to gather pricing, service, and new product information. Madeline could then use this information to enhance their company's position.

After pondering the request, Amanda wondered, Is this ethical? Would I get in trouble if the competitor finds out I'm not really a customer?

Just then, Madeline walked into Amanda's office.

Amanda, Madeline stated, I need that pricing information tomorrow. Have you started contacting competitors yet?

Amanda thought quickly and responded . . .

Is it illegal and/or unethical to pose as a customer?

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

poopface

Answer to Question 1

Amanda might be able to check with actual customers of the competitor; in many cases, a buyer will purchase from both competitors and be willing to share information. Another source of information may be suppliers that sell to competing customers. To keep a customer satisfied, a supplier may be willing to share information on competitors. Once again, it is important to note that the information being shared is public information or at least, not carefully guarded private company secrets. It is also worth remembering that if a supplier or customer is willing to tell you about your competitors, it is a safe bet that the same individual is also willing to tell a competitor about you.

Answer to Question 2

It is important to remind students that unethical doesn't necessarily mean illegal. In this case, there is probably nothing illegal about posing as a customer; who is to say that Amanda may/or may not be a customer or future customer. Is it unethical for Amanda to pose as a customer when she's really just trying to get competitor information? It probably depends on her individual code of ethics but at the very least, she is lying and deceiving the competitor. In this case, the supervisor is asking for public informationthat is, information given to customersas opposed to proprietary information, which would be confidential.

asmith134

Reply 2 on: Jun 29, 2018
Wow, this really help

parshano

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

Recent studies have shown that the number of medication errors increases in relation to the number of orders that are verified per pharmacist, per work shift.

Did you know?

The oldest recorded age was 122. Madame Jeanne Calment was born in France in 1875 and died in 1997. She was a vegetarian and loved olive oil, port wine, and chocolate.

Did you know?

Aspirin is the most widely used drug in the world. It has even been recognized as such by the Guinness Book of World Records.

Did you know?

Pregnant women usually experience a heightened sense of smell beginning late in the first trimester. Some experts call this the body's way of protecting a pregnant woman from foods that are unsafe for the fetus.

Did you know?

Atropine, along with scopolamine and hyoscyamine, is found in the Datura stramonium plant, which gives hallucinogenic effects and is also known as locoweed.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library