This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A 71-year-old female is complaining of the sudden onset of shortness of breath and rapid breathing. ... (Read 77 times)

jparksx

A 71-year-old female is complaining of the sudden onset of shortness of breath and rapid breathing. She also states that she is experiencing some chest pain that seems to worsen when she takes a deep breath. The primary assessment shows her to be alert and oriented with a patent airway and rapid breathing that is adequate. Her pulse rate is 92 per minute and her blood pressure is 116/68 mmHg. When obtaining a history, which statement made by the patient should raise your suspicion that the patient may be experiencing a pulmonary embolism?

A) I think that I may also have a fever.
  B) I had foot surgery five days ago.
  C) I just started a new blood pressure medication today.
  D) I had a headache earlier and took an aspirin.

Question 2

The EMT understands the importance of evaluating the mechanism of injury when he states:

A) The mechanism of injury is useful in determining the exact injuries the patient has sustained.
  B) Evaluating the mechanism of injury is important since it determines whether emergency transport to the hospital is needed.
  C) The mechanism of injury is a useful tool in determining if the patient's outcome will be good or bad.
  D) The mechanism of injury can be used to guide your assessment and treatment of the patient.