This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: You are caring for a sick five-year-old child in the emergency department. The ED physician has ... (Read 24 times)

tiffannnnyyyyyy

You are caring for a sick five-year-old child in the emergency department. The ED physician has ordered some intravenous medication to stop the child from vomiting. Which of the following is the best way to approach the child with the issue of starting an IV?

A) I'm going to give you some medicine in your arm to help you stop throwing up. If you're a good boy and hold really still, it's not going to hurt a bit.
  B) I'm going to give you some medicine to help you stop throwing up, but the medicine has to go through a tube and into your arm. So it's going to feel like you're getting a shot, but it will just take a second, and then the medicine will make you feel better.
  C) I'm going to start an IV in your arm so I can give you some Phenergan for your nausea and vomiting. Be a big boy and don't cry, okay?
  D) Say nothing about the procedure. Once you have everything set up, tell the child, Let me see your arm, then quickly perform the procedure.

Question 2

After several cycles of lab testing on test animals, a medication can enter clinical trials for evaluation in humans. In phase II clinical trial testing:

A) the trial is expanded to include a large sample size, usually in the thousands of individuals, and establish the overall safety and effectiveness of the drug.
  B) the medication is compared to other medications on the market.
  C) consists of the drug being tested on a small number (usually 300 or less) of people with the illness or condition the drug is designed to treat.
  D) researchers attempt to determine the safe dose and how the medication is both absorbed and eliminated from the body.