Author Question: How do I determine the amount of valence electrons for groups 3-12? (Read 801 times)

plus1

I get that groups 1-2 and 13-18 have valence electrons of 1-8 and I can determine the energy level as well as sublevels s, p, d and f and write the configurations, but what hasn't been explained to me in my book properly is a way of finding out the number of valence electrons of groups 3-12 by just using the periodic table without having to look up each element online. So please tell me what I need to do.

mydiamond

It's easy, the number of valence electrons in groups 13 to 18 is the group number minus 10 eg elements in group 13 have 13 - 10 = 3 valence electrons, group 17 have 17 - 10 = 7 valence electrons.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

asan beg

1..2..3...4...5...6 ...7...8...9...10.. 11...12...13...14.. ..15...16..17...18 ..Group No
1..2..2...2,..2,..2,..2,..2,..2,...2....2,....2.....3.....4.....5.....6....7.....8 ..e in level n
.......1....2...3.. .4...5...6...7....8 ....9...10,...10...10...10...10..10....10..e in level n-1
1..2..3...4...5...6 ...7...8...9...10.. .11..12....13...14. ..15...16..17....18 ..Total e in last 2 levels

I do not know whether this will help.

It depends on what is meant by "valence electrons". Just the last level or next to last level or both these levels together. Valence electrons is not a term which is easily applied to transition elements 3 to 12 inclusive. I should not woory too much if you are able to write configurations using s,p,d, and f sub-levels.

Did you know?

More than 34,000 trademarked medication names and more than 10,000 generic medication names are in use in the United States.

Did you know?

About one in five American adults and teenagers have had a genital herpes infection—and most of them don't know it. People with genital herpes have at least twice the risk of becoming infected with HIV if exposed to it than those people who do not have genital herpes.

Did you know?

Inotropic therapy does not have a role in the treatment of most heart failure patients. These drugs can make patients feel and function better but usually do not lengthen the predicted length of their lives.

Did you know?

Medications that are definitely not safe to take when breastfeeding include radioactive drugs, antimetabolites, some cancer (chemotherapy) agents, bromocriptine, ergotamine, methotrexate, and cyclosporine.

Did you know?

There are 20 feet of blood vessels in each square inch of human skin.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library