Author Question: If I own my communication, what does that mean? A) I can sell it to the highest bidder. B) I can ... (Read 27 times)

audragclark

If I own my communication, what does that mean?

A) I can sell it to the highest bidder.
  B) I can imply to receivers of my message that I am superior to them.
  C) I can imply to receivers of my message that I want to keep my distance between them and me.
  D) I can imply to receivers of my message that I am willing to invest in this relationship.

Question 2

Research has found that which of the following is true?

A) People improve on their listening skills over time
  B) People only listen at about a 50 effectiveness level
  C) People tend to become poorer listeners as they age
  D) People speak at a faster rate than they are able to listen

nickk12214

Answer to Question 1

Answer: D
Explanation: A) Incorrect. Ownership does not imply that the communication is a good to be bought and sold. It implies to listeners that you are willing to take responsibility for your statements and invest in the relationship.
B) Incorrect. Ownership does not imply that you are superior (a message of superiority is called, unsurprisingly, superior communication). Ownership implies to listeners that you are willing to take responsibility for your statements and invest in the relationship.
C) Incorrect. Ownership does not imply that you are distancing yourself from them. It actually implies to listeners that you are willing to take responsibility for your statements and invest in the relationship.
D) Correct. Ownership implies to listeners both that you are willing to take responsibility for your statements and to invest in the relationship.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: B
Explanation: A) Incorrect. Research shows that the older people get, the less effective they are at listening.
B) Incorrect. Research shows that people listen at a 25 effectiveness level (meaning that they internalize only about one-fourth of what they hear)
C) Correct. Research shows that the older people get, the less effective they are at listening.
D) Incorrect. Research shows that people listen at 500 words per minute, but only speak at about 125 to 250 words per minute.