Author Question: Managers pass along advice and information and help employees improve their skills by setting ... (Read 63 times)

leo leo

Managers pass along advice and information and help employees improve their skills by setting standards. When managers do this, what is it called?

A) Coaching
  B) Counseling
  C) Validating
  D) Delegation

Question 2

Which of the following statements is most consistent with coaching (as opposed to counseling)?

A) I'd like to see you work on your attitude. You are often too pessimistic.
  B) Would you like to talk with me about the interpersonal conflict you are having with your supervisor?
  C) Let's plan some time tomorrow for me to walk you through the audit process. I think I can help you see where you are making mistakes.
  D) I'm concerned that you seem to be growing less committed to the mission of our organization. Why don't you spend a little more time with our customers so that you can reignite your passion?

TDubDCFL

Answer to Question 1

Answer: A
Explanation: A) Correct. Coaching focuses on abilities, while counseling focuses on attitudes.
B) Incorrect. Counseling refers to when managers help others recognize and address problems involving their level of understanding, emotions, or personalities. The behavior described above is coaching. Coaching focuses on abilities, while counseling focuses on attitudes.
C) Incorrect. Validating is an aspect of supportive communication that refers to focus on statements that communicate respect, flexibility, and collaboration. The behavior described above is coaching. Coaching focuses on abilities, while counseling focuses on attitudes.
D) Incorrect. Delegation is a time-management technique that refers to assigning employees responsibility for certain tasks. The behavior described above is coaching. Coaching focuses on abilities, while counseling focuses on attitudes.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: C
Explanation: A) Incorrect. Discussing someone's attitude with them is part of the counseling function, not the coaching function.
B) Incorrect. Talking with someone about personality clashes is a feature of counseling, not coaching.
C) Correct. When managers coach, they provide guidance and instructions to help build the employee's competence and skills.
D) Incorrect. Discussing someone's attitude or commitment level is a feature of counseling, not coaching.