This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Briefly define the similar-to-me effect. What is the impact on diversity? What will be an ideal ... (Read 28 times)

notis

Briefly define the similar-to-me effect. What is the impact on diversity?

What will be an ideal response?

Question 2

List and explain the guidelines offered in the textbook for determining whether an organization should base pay on individual, group, or organizational levels of performance.

What will be an ideal response?

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

JaynaD87

Answer to Question 1

The similar-to-me effect occurs when perceivers see targets that are similar to themselves more positively than targets that are dissimilar. In a workforce that includes many women, members of minority groups, and increasing numbers of the disabled, managers and subordinates have more frequent contact with people unlike themselves. When evaluating others who are different, people must try to be as objective as possible to avoid the similar-to-me trap. Members of an organization also have to be on the lookout for the similar-to-me bias when interacting with people from other cultures.

Answer to Question 2

One of the most important choices managers face in designing an effective merit pay plan is whether to base merit pay on individual, group, or organizational performance. The following guidelines can be used to make this choice:

When individual performance can be accurately assessed, the maximum motivational impact is obtained from basing pay on individual performance.

When workers are highly interdependent so that what one worker does affects the work of the others and individual performance levels cannot be accurately assessed, an individual-based pay-for-performance plan is not a viable option. In this case, managers can implement a group or organization-level pay plan.

When organizational effectiveness depends on members' cooperating with and helping each other, group-based or organization-based pay-for-performance plans may be more appropriate than individual-based plans.

notis

Reply 2 on: Jul 7, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

meganmoser117

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

Fungal nail infections account for up to 30% of all skin infections. They affect 5% of the general population—mostly people over the age of 70.

Did you know?

Bacteria have been found alive in a lake buried one half mile under ice in Antarctica.

Did you know?

HIV testing reach is still limited. An estimated 40% of people with HIV (more than 14 million) remain undiagnosed and do not know their infection status.

Did you know?

Acetaminophen (Tylenol) in overdose can seriously damage the liver. It should never be taken by people who use alcohol heavily; it can result in severe liver damage and even a condition requiring a liver transplant.

Did you know?

Your chance of developing a kidney stone is 1 in 10. In recent years, approximately 3.7 million people in the United States were diagnosed with a kidney disease.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library