Author Question: Which of the following thought distortion statements involves jumping to conclusions? a. Everyone ... (Read 41 times)

jenna1

Which of the following thought distortion statements involves jumping to conclusions?

a. Everyone thinks I am going to fail NCLEX, so why should I study
  b. I made a mistake. I'm not good enough to be a nurse
  c. Either you like my proposal and we will follow it or we won't
  d. If I don't get this promotion, I'll be stuck at this job forever

Question 2

A skill the nurse can develop to help combat anger is

a. accommodation c. silence
  b. resilience d. compromise

epscape

Answer to Question 1

A
Research on thinking processes has shown that some people perceive information and think about the world around them. Recognizing distorted thinking allows one to turn to more positive thoughts. Everyone thinks I am going to fail NCLEX, so why study is an example of jumping to conclusions. I made a mistake. I'm not good enough to be a nurse is an example of dwelling on negatives. Either you will like my proposal and we will follow it or we won't is an example of all-or-nothing thinking. If I don't get this promotion, I will be at this job forever is an example of pessimistic thinking.

Answer to Question 2

B
One way of coping with anger is to prevent its development. Resilience is the ability to cope with and adapt to adversity (McAllister & McKinnon 2009). It is a desired quality to have in the stress-filled environment of health care. Evidence is growing that resilience is a skill that can be learned. Silence will only promote anger. Accommodation is a way of managing conflict which is a passive response that gives in to others' needs rather than acknowledging one's own. Compromise is another way of managing conflict. This technique allows individuals to give and take to reach an agreement.