Author Question: A nurse has a longstanding conflict with another nurse working the same shift. Over the last few ... (Read 16 times)

fasfsadfdsfa

A nurse has a longstanding conflict with another nurse working the same shift. Over the last few days the first nurse has made an effort to smooth over the conflict.

Which statement would the nurse manager evaluate as an example of a smoothing comment? 1. We are never going to agree because I am from Generation X and you are a baby boomer.
  2. I'm tired of this fight and I'm not going to argue with you anymore.
  3. Even though we don't agree on much, I do think you are correct about enforcing the length of lunch breaks.
  4. I think everything is fine and that we can get along.

Question 2

The medical-surgical unit is at capacity and the clients have a high acuity, which require much care, such as turning, bathing, toileting, and eating. Which of the following would be a cost-effective choice to supplement the staffing need?

1. Additional registered nurses
  2. Additional secretarial staff
  3. Additional licensed practical/vocational nurses
  4. Additional unlicensed assistive personnel

bbburns21

Answer to Question 1

Rationale 1: A comment on generational differences could actually promote conflict.
Rationale 2: Being tired of the fight is a statement of withdrawal.
Rationale 3: Smoothing includes statements or actions such as complementing one's opponent, downplaying differences, and focusing on minor areas of agreement. Agreeing about the length of lunch break is one such minor area.
Rationale 4: The statement the we can get along is a statement of avoidance.
Global Rationale:

Answer to Question 2

Explanation: 1. Additional RN, LPN/LVN nurses would not be as cost effective as unlicensed assistive
personnel. Additional secretarial staff would not be helpful to meet the above stated client
needs.