This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Which nurse's statement most closely indicates paternalism? 1. While I know you are scared, you ... (Read 20 times)

mspears3

Which nurse's statement most closely indicates paternalism?

1. While I know you are scared, you need to consider all your options.
   2. I must follow these orders and prepare you for surgery now.
   3. The tests and blood work are completed, so the course of action is decided.
   4. If you don't understand why we are doing something, just ask questions.

Question 2

The nurse is caring for a client with cancer pain. The client states, I wish you would just give me enough medication to make me stop breathing From the nurse's perspective, of which ethical principle is this situation most indicative?

1. Beneficence
   2. Nonmaleficence
   3. Justice
   4. Autonomy

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Eazy416

Answer to Question 1

Answer: 3

Rationale: Paternalism is the complete disregard for the client's right to understand the treatment options available and make the best choice based on the client's preferences. Therefore, the statement describing the completed tests and blood work most closely indicates paternalism, as it has no indication of client involvement in the decision. Considering options indicates the availability of client involvement in treatment options, preparing for surgery does not indicate either paternalism or autonomy, and encouraging questions is also indicative of client involvement in autonomy.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: 2

Rationale: Nonmaleficence is the ethical principle requiring avoidance of harm to others. The nurse cannot do any action bringing harm or risk of harm to the client, regardless of how the client perceives the action. Beneficence is the principle requiring the nurse's actions for the client to bring about positive outcomes for the health and/or well-being of that client. Justice is not the best choice, since this ethical principle helps determines the fairness of a nurse's actions for each client. The principle of autonomy is applicable in this situation from the client's perspective, as the client should have free choice over health care decisions. However, for the nurse, the principle of nonmaleficence is more applicable.

mspears3

Reply 2 on: Jul 8, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

komodo7

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

Multiple sclerosis is a condition wherein the body's nervous system is weakened by an autoimmune reaction that attacks the myelin sheaths of neurons.

Did you know?

In Eastern Europe and Russia, interferon is administered intranasally in varied doses for the common cold and influenza. It is claimed that this treatment can lower the risk of infection by as much as 60–70%.

Did you know?

It is believed that the Incas used anesthesia. Evidence supports the theory that shamans chewed cocoa leaves and drilled holes into the heads of patients (letting evil spirits escape), spitting into the wounds they made. The mixture of cocaine, saliva, and resin numbed the site enough to allow hours of drilling.

Did you know?

The first oral chemotherapy drug for colon cancer was approved by FDA in 2001.

Did you know?

In women, pharmacodynamic differences include increased sensitivity to (and increased effectiveness of) beta-blockers, opioids, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, and typical antipsychotics.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library