This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is caring for a client who works as a boxer. The client states, I was picked on a lot when ... (Read 18 times)

RRMR

The nurse is caring for a client who works as a boxer. The client states, I was picked on a lot when I was little, so I got really angry and now I work through the anger by boxing.

The nurse recognizes the client is demonstrating which ego defense mechanism?

a. Denial
  b. Intellectualization
  c. Sublimation
  d. Repression

Question 2

A client who has been diagnosed with cancer asks the nurse, If I take the chemotherapy, will I be cured, or am I going to die anyway? The nurse's best response is

a. Tell me what prompted your question.
  b. I don't think you should have chemotherapy; it will harm you more than help you.
  c. Let's not talk about dying; I'm sure you will be cured.
  d. I really don't think you should worry about such things; it isn't something you can control.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

anyusername12131

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
Sublimation is redirecting socially unacceptable unconscious thoughts and feelings into socially approved outlets. Sublimation is used to channel extreme anger impulses into acceptable behaviorsfor example by becoming a butcher or boxer. Denial is the unconscious refusal to allow painful facts, feelings, or perceptions into awareness. Intellectualization is the unconscious focusing on only the intellectual and not the emotional aspects of a situation or circumstance. Repression is unconscious forgetting of parts or all of an experience.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
It is difficult to directly answer stress-related questions about uncertainties, like, If I take the chemotherapy, will I be cured, or am I going to die anyway? The reality is that there may be no single answer. It helps to ask the client what prompted the question and to have a good idea of the client's level of knowledge before answering. Allowing clients to be in charge of areas and issues that are not at odds with a treatment protocol and helping clients discover the real causes of their frustration can reduce stress through direct action. Clients experiencing stress should be given the opportunity to express their feelings, thoughts, and worries.

RRMR

Reply 2 on: Jul 8, 2018
Wow, this really help

nguyenhoanhat

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

Nearly all drugs pass into human breast milk. How often a drug is taken influences the amount of drug that will pass into the milk. Medications taken 30 to 60 minutes before breastfeeding are likely to be at peak blood levels when the baby is nursing.

Did you know?

In 2012, nearly 24 milliion Americans, aged 12 and older, had abused an illicit drug, according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA).

Did you know?

Famous people who died from poisoning or drug overdose include, Adolf Hitler, Socrates, Juan Ponce de Leon, Marilyn Monroe, Judy Garland, and John Belushi.

Did you know?

More than 20 million Americans cite use of marijuana within the past 30 days, according to the National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH). More than 8 million admit to using it almost every day.

Did you know?

The strongest synthetic topical retinoid drug available, tazarotene, is used to treat sun-damaged skin, acne, and psoriasis.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library