This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is caring for a client who is becoming increasingly short of breath. The nurse decides to ... (Read 58 times)

jrubin

The nurse is caring for a client who is becoming increasingly short of breath. The nurse decides to call the physician. Which of the following should the nurse initially do when speaking with the physician?

a. State the problem
  b. Tell what is needed
  c. State the client's allergies
  d. Relate the client's background

Question 2

When calling a physician, the nurse tells the physician her name, what unit and what hospital she is calling from, the client's name, and that the client is having trouble breathing.

The nurse is demonstrating which step in the SBAR format for communicating with a client's physician?

a. Situation
  b. Assessment
  c. Background
  d. Recommendation

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

alexanderhamilton

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
During the situation component of SBAR, the nurse identifies herself, the client, and the problem. During the recommendation component of SBAR, the nurse tells what is needed. During the background component of SBAR, the nurse relates the client's background.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
An example of the situation component of SBAR reporting is: Dr. Preston, this is Wendy Obi, evening nurse on 4G at St. Simeon Hospital, calling about Mr. Lakewood, who's having trouble breathing. An example of the assessment component of SBAR reporting is: I don't hear any breath sounds in his right chest. I think he has a pneumothorax. An example of the background component of SBAR reporting is: Kyle Lakewood, DOB 7/1/60, a 53-year-old man with chronic lung disease, admitted 12/25, who has been sliding downhill  2 hours. Now he's acutely worse: VS heart rate 92, respiratory rate 40 with gasping, B/P 138/94, oxygenation down to 72. An example of the recommendation component of SBAR reporting is: I need you to see him right now. I think he needs a chest tube.

jrubin

Reply 2 on: Jul 8, 2018
Wow, this really help

abro1885

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

Though newer “smart” infusion pumps are increasingly becoming more sophisticated, they cannot prevent all programming and administration errors. Health care professionals that use smart infusion pumps must still practice the rights of medication administration and have other professionals double-check all high-risk infusions.

Did you know?

Everyone has one nostril that is larger than the other.

Did you know?

Allergies play a major part in the health of children. The most prevalent childhood allergies are milk, egg, soy, wheat, peanuts, tree nuts, and seafood.

Did you know?

Increased intake of vitamin D has been shown to reduce fractures up to 25% in older people.

Did you know?

Limit intake of red meat and dairy products made with whole milk. Choose skim milk, low-fat or fat-free dairy products. Limit fried food. Use healthy oils when cooking.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library