Author Question: A nurse is caring for a client suffering from paranoid ideation. The nurse decides to use ... (Read 45 times)

j.rubin

A nurse is caring for a client suffering from paranoid ideation. The nurse decides to use contemplation and meditation in the form of guided imagery. The nurse should know that this intervention is:

A) Appropriate for all clients
  B) Inappropriate for those with paranoid ideation
  C) Appropriate only if there is a physician order
  D) Inappropriate for all mental health clients

Question 2

The nurse is caring for a mental health client with severe depression. During an interaction, the client states, I feel like something is missing in my life. I used to go to church all the time.

Maybe that would help me now. Which of the following responses by the nurse would be most appropriate?
  A) Church will not help your problem, you need medication.
  B) Do you really think that church will help you?
  C) I go to church, and it helps me when I am feeling down.
  D) Would you like to speak with a clergy person from your church?

izzat

Answer to Question 1

Ans: B
Guided imagery, a popular form of meditation, uses visualization and can be augmented with music and voice instruction. Caution is urged in using contemplation and meditation as an intervention without knowledge of a client's denomination, preferences, or views. Contemplation and meditation are likely inappropriate interventions for clients with paranoid ideation (belief that their minds are being controlled). A physician's order is not required.

Answer to Question 2

Ans: D
Clergy, although not traditionally members of interdisciplinary treatment teams, can give needed support to clinicians, providing a context for and insight into the lives and worldviews of clients. Nurses are encouraged to build collaborative relationships with clergy and chaplains to learn more about spiritual interventions and the rich diversity of spiritual and religious views. They are encouraged to invite clergy to consult and to be members of clients' treatment teams. As clients express a desire for greater attention to spiritual issues in their care, structured collaborations can assist in providing those with mental health problems the balanced and holistic approach that they seek, but which is not always available to them.