Author Question: The nurses who work in a renal dialysis unit have wholeheartedly embraced the idea of improving ... (Read 42 times)

altibaby

The nurses who work in a renal dialysis unit have wholeheartedly embraced the idea of improving patient care through use of evidence. Which statements, made by these nurses, reflect common barriers associated with developing evidence-based policies? Standard Text: Select all that apply.

1. I spent two hours on the internet last night and didn't find any research that says our proposed interventions are better than what we have been doing.
  2. Our journal review group has helped me understand how to eliminate poorly constructed or managed clinical studies.
  3. I heard our newly-hired nurse ask why we are researching interventions we know work.
  4. I have to skip my breaks to get everything done for my patients.
  5. Our hospital librarian showed me a new way to search the internet.

Question 2

Nursing leadership is choosing nurses from within the organization to fill the role of nurse champion prior to introducing new evidence-based practice policies. Those in leadership should look for nurses with which qualities? Standard Text: Select all that apply.

1. Nurses who are not stakeholders in the organization.
  2. Nurses who are clinically knowledgeable.
  3. Nurses who are easy to persuade that the change is beneficial.
  4. Nurses who have a commitment to improve quality of care.
  5. Nurses who hold patient safety as their number one priority

tennis14576

Answer to Question 1

1, 3, 4
Rationale 1: One of the barriers to EBP is the inadequate numbers of research studies from clinical trials that have compared patient outcomes from new strategies with care as it was previously provided.
Rationale 2: Learning more about evaluating clinical studies is a facilitator of this process, not a barrier.
Rationale 3: Some nurses wonder why it is important to investigate interventions that have been used successfully for many years. This is a barrier to EBP.
Rationale 4: Lack of time to devote to EBP is a common barrier.
Rationale 5: Learning more about searching the internet is a facilitator of EBP.
Global Rationale:

Answer to Question 2

2, 4, 5
Rationale 1: All nurses who work in the facility are stakeholders in the organization.
Rationale 2: Nurse champions should be clinically knowledgeable so that they are respected by others for that knowledge.
Rationale 3: Being easy to persuade is not the mark of a nurse suitable for the role of nurse champion.
Rationale 4: The nurse who is committed to improvement of patient care is a good candidate for this position.
Rationale 5: Patient safety is of utmost importance when policies are being changes. A nurse who believes patient safety is of highest priority is a good candidate for the role of nurse champion.
Global Rationale: