This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Which of the following should a reader of a research article be able to do, in order to decide ... (Read 14 times)

Metfan725

Which of the following should a reader of a research article be able to do, in order to decide whether the article's statistics are correctly selected and applied? (Select all that apply.)

a. Understand the discussion section of the article.
  b. Make a judgment as to whether the author's interpretations of the data are correct.
  c. Make some judgment about whether the statistical procedures used were the correct ones for the level of measurement used for the study variables.
  d. Make some judgment about whether the statistical procedures used were the correct ones for the research question.
  e. Agree with the study's stated limitations.
  f. Find the names of the statistical procedures the author used.

Question 2

Why can type I error and type II error not be both present for one given hypothesis?

a. Power analysis makes one type of error less likely.
  b. One refers to rejecting the null hypothesis when it is true and the other to accepting it when it is false.
  c. As beta rises, alpha falls.
  d. The researcher sets both the alpha level and the beta level.
  e. Qualitative research does not use power analysis.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

djpooyouma

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A, B, C, D, F
To critically appraise the results section of a quantitative study, the reader needs to be able to (1) identify the statistical procedures used, (2) judge whether these statistical procedures were appropriate for the hypotheses, questions, or objectives of the study and for the data available for analysis, (3) comprehend the discussion of data analysis results, (4) judge whether the author's interpretation of the results is appropriate, and (5) evaluate the clinical importance of the findings.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B, C
The researcher sets the values of two theoretical probabilities: (1) the probability of rejecting the null hypothesis when it is in fact true (alpha ; type I error), and (2) the probability of retaining the null hypothesis when it is in fact false (beta ; type II error). In nursing research, alpha is usually set at 0.05, meaning that the researcher will allow a 5 or lower chance of making a type I error. The beta is frequently set to 0.20, meaning that the researcher will allow for a 20 or lower chance of making a type II error. A type II error occurs if the null hypothesis is regarded as true when, in fact, it is false.

Metfan725

Reply 2 on: Jul 8, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

dyrone

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

The Romans did not use numerals to indicate fractions but instead used words to indicate parts of a whole.

Did you know?

Patients who have been on total parenteral nutrition for more than a few days may need to have foods gradually reintroduced to give the digestive tract time to start working again.

Did you know?

The horizontal fraction bar was introduced by the Arabs.

Did you know?

If all the neurons in the human body were lined up, they would stretch more than 600 miles.

Did you know?

Bisphosphonates were first developed in the nineteenth century. They were first investigated for use in disorders of bone metabolism in the 1960s. They are now used clinically for the treatment of osteoporosis, Paget's disease, bone metastasis, multiple myeloma, and other conditions that feature bone fragility.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library