This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: An older patient is diagnosed with an infection but has a subnormal body temperature. What should ... (Read 115 times)

jon_i

An older patient is diagnosed with an infection but has a subnormal body temperature. What should the nurse explain to the patient's family as the reason for this discrepancy?

1. The temperature regulating mechanism changes with aging.
  2. The patient is on medication that drops the body temperature.
  3. The diagnosis of an infection is inaccurate and will be checked.
  4. The temperature was measured incorrectly and will be repeated.

Question 2

A student nurse just completed giving a presentation to her class regarding elder abuse. Her focus was on characteristics of people who mistreat older adults.

What statement by a classmate would indicate a need for further education by the student?
  A) Most people who abuse older adults have abused someone else in their lifetime.
  B) Most people who abuse older adults are loners.
  C) Most people who abuse older adults suffer from some sort of mental illness.
  D) Most people who abuse older adults are financially independent.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

triiciiaa

Answer to Question 1

Rationale: An elevated temperature is a common sign of infection but may not be present in the frail older adult.

Answer to Question 2

D

jon_i

Reply 2 on: Jul 11, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

sultana.d

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

The Romans did not use numerals to indicate fractions but instead used words to indicate parts of a whole.

Did you know?

Vital signs (blood pressure, temperature, pulse rate, respiration rate) should be taken before any drug administration. Patients should be informed not to use tobacco or caffeine at least 30 minutes before their appointment.

Did you know?

Blood in the urine can be a sign of a kidney stone, glomerulonephritis, or other kidney problems.

Did you know?

Parkinson's disease is both chronic and progressive. This means that it persists over a long period of time and that its symptoms grow worse over time.

Did you know?

Disorders that may affect pharmacodynamics include genetic mutations, malnutrition, thyrotoxicosis, myasthenia gravis, Parkinson's disease, and certain forms of insulin-resistant diabetes mellitus.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library